"Beauty is truth,
truth beauty,
that is all Ye know on Earth,
that is all Ye need to know..." - John Keats


Tuesday 9 February 2010

On perception...

Well the things always have an uncanny knack to be profoundly deceiving. Yes,howsoever mundane and ordinary these things may seem to a mortal's eye,more often than not,every passable thing evokes a certain curiosity to the mind of a patient observer of this admirable set of souls...
To prove that very point,I perceive,poetry was developed as a form of expression;and to reinforce this fact,Coleridge rightly described,the ability of a good poet is to perceive the ethereal out of the ordinary...
As one of my teachers rightly describes,there are always those "red,red roses" which all of us have seen,but the way one sees it and the way one perceives it using one's faculties of imagination,make a poet stand out from the bystanders... Wordsworth clearly showed that by using those commonplace "red,red roses" and "daffodils" in his works.
Today,I bore witness to an interesting incident,which showed me the immense potential of our intellect and the abundance of lessons which can be learnt by careful observation of others around us...
As I was travelling in the morning,in the usual bus that goes from my place,a person sat next to me,who was a daily-wage employee,illiterate and of non-local origin.But since he was a regular commuter in that bus,he had got acquainted to the conductor of that bus. So this person was talking to the conductor,and it seemed the conductor was asking for some money,to which this person was saying he wouldn't lend.
When conductor asked him why wouldn't he lend him money inspite of the assurance that he had given him that he would pay him back the next day...This person simply replied,"who has seen tomorrow?"
His answer hit me with an extreme impact...
Though I don't think his reply was a sophisticated or polite one,but the truth in it struck me...
At that instant I marvelled on the fact,as to how deep a message one can come across from how odd a source and in how simple a diction and commonplace a situation.
At that time all that I could do was smile at the truth,of the magnanimity of human intellect and how small our aura of perception is,and for one who is a real student of humanity,how varied the source of wisdom can be;which brings me back to the main theme I wished to discuss here. All that is necessary to learn,is a perception that enables the process of education. For example,for many,the question that this person asked would just be a cheek,but if one cares to be a bit sensitive,he can see deeper and much more profound meaning in that simple four word question...
After all,all I say to conclude is,human race is quite interesting and the gifts it possesses is quite more intriguing...:)

© Karthik Adithya Singaraju

No comments: